So, why are you creating a website like this?
Simple: I want to go to grad school, but finances are getting in the way.
Here’s the status so far:
- I’ve been accepted into the Computer Science Ph.D. program at USF.
- I’m still trying to find an assistantship. Since my goal is to become a professor once I graduate, I’d like to get as much experience teaching as I can while I’m here. (I’ll be getting experience doing research simply by completing my dissertation.)
- The Fall semester begins in August. In the meantime, I’ll be quitting (or being laid off from) my job and moving to a different city; driving 70 miles each way is just a bit beyond what I’m up for. This takes money. Even if I live with my dad again (something I want to avoid if at all possible), I’ll need gas money.
- Assistantships come with stipends of $15k-20k, according to the department. That’s minimum wage at the low end, and I’m paying more than half of that in rent right now.
- Tuition. Books. Transportation. Parking permits. Meal plans. Gas. The occasional beer.
That’s why I’m asking for money.
As for why I created a website: I was never very good at begging on the roadside. I’m way too fat to pull off the ‘hungry’ look, and my shoes are still in good shape.
Also, I haven’t won the lottery yet.